Our curriculum at this level includes, but is not limited to, providing instructions that will enable students to…
- Study the key elements that make up a story, such as the characters, the setting, the story line, the conflict, and the final resolution to the conflict.
- Cite examples to support their analysis of how the theme is developed throughout a story.
- Discuss the use of figurative language in a story and provide examples to support their analyses.
- Rewrite a sentence to reduce wordiness and improve clarity.
- Write a persuasive essay that is evaluated on a set of criteria, such as the content of the presentation, the delivery of the presentation, and the level of engagement with the audience.
- Find the number of cubic units in a given object when its dimensions are known.
- Calculate the number of red marbles if the total number of marbles and the ratio of red marbles are known.
- Use Roman numerals to write the numerical values for a series of numbers, such as 50 and 777.
- Calculate the numerical value of the “x” property in two different mathematical equations.
- Read a mathematical equation where the total numbers of red, black, and green marbles are known and compute the likelihood that one marble drawn from the pool of marbles will be red or black.
- Identify the physiological properties of a cell and their functions.
- Identify the anatomy and physiology of plants and animals.
- Understand the contributions of Charles Darwin to the theory of evolution.
- Learn about the systems of the body including, but not limited to, the skeletal system and respiratory system.
- Learn about the spread of infectious diseases, such as the cholera outbreaks of the 1800s and 1900s.
HISTORY & SOCIAL SCIENCE
- Describe the effects of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Describe the early days of the Civil War and the role of key events, such as the Battle of Gettysburg.
- Describe how key leaders contributed to the course of the Civil War.
- Identify the contributions of key figures during the Middle Ages, such as explorer Marco Polo.
- Describe the spread of Christianity and the controversies within the Church during the Middle Ages.